Originally designed as “shield-piercer” by Ancient Greece from the Greek word katzapeltes (kata = “through,” + pelta = “light infantry shield”), catapults have evolved over the span of history but the mechanism is timeless.
Design your own launchers and target points using the elastic potential energy of rubber bands and other materials. Discover both the simplicity and complexity of catapults together with your child!
After the workshop, step into a world of Greek inventions and discover the origins of modern technology in the temporary exhibition: The Inventions of Ancient Greece: Origins of our Modern Technology.
Workshop dates: 15 December 2018, 22 December 2018
Maximum capacity: 12 parent-child pairs, 24 participants
Minimum capacity: 5 parent-child pairs, 10 participants
Tinkering workshop time: 10.30am - 12.00pm
Ancient Greece exhibition time: Free-and-easy
15 December 2018: regonline.sg/greece1
22 December 2018: regonline.sg/greece2
|COST (Includes 7% GST)||Participants||SCS Member||Non-Member|
| ||1 Parent + 1 Child||$58.15||$71.50|
| ||1 Parent + 2 Child||$96.80||$116.90|
For more details, please e-mail Ms Fatin Iesa at Fatin_IESA@science.edu.sg
Terms and conditions:
1. Admission and admission fee. (i) Admission to Science Centre is included. (ii) Admission to the temporary exhibition: The Inventions of Ancient Greece: Origins of our Modern Technology is included. GST of 7% is excluded
2. Cancellation and Amendments (i) All cancellations and booking amendments to bookings must be requested through email to fatin_IESA@science.edu.sg. Please provide registration details to verify the authenticity of the request. (ii) Cancellations and booking amendments are allowed without extra charge up to 5 working days before the scheduled booking date. (Working days are Monday – Friday, 10.00 am – 5.30 pm, except public holidays.) However, do note that service/registration fees charged by the online registration provider (regonline) are non-refundable. (iii) Within 5 working days of the scheduled booking date, no more amendments are allowed and cancellations will be treated as a no-show. Example: If a workshop is scheduled for Saturday, 15 December 2018, any cancellation or amendment requests received before 5.30 pm on Friday, 7 December 2018 will not incur an extra charge.
3. No-shows and Punctuality (i) If you do not show up in time for the scheduled booking, it will be treated as a no-show and no refund will be given (ii) Should unforeseen circumstances result in the Science Centre starting the programme late, the entirety of the programme will be delivered.
4. Class Size (i) The minimum number of participants for the workshop to go ahead is 10 participants. Should there be less than the minimum number of participants, Science Centre reserves the right to cancel the workshop and full refund will be given. (ii) There is a maximum number of participants for the workshop. If there are no vacancies, any extra registrants will be placed on a waiting list.
5. Course content. Any representations about the course content are made in good faith. Changes in circumstances may result in minor adjustments.