Sony Creative Science Award
SONY CREATIVE SCIENCE AWARD 2013 - CREATIVE TOYS COMPETITION
Unleash your creativity and invent a toy!
The Sony Creative Science Award (SCSA) is an annual competition jointly organised by the Science Centre Singapore and Sony Electronics Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, with the support of the Ministry of Education and the Agency For Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR).
The main objective of this competition is to promote creativity among the primary students. The competition also provides an opportunity for them to learn about science beyond the classrooms in a fun and enjoyable way.
The competition is divided into two categories:
- Scizkid Award is an open category which comprises of 2 sections- “Primary 1 & 2” and “Primary 3-6”. You are allowed to choose any suitable materials to create the toy, as long as the toy demonstrates at least one scientific principle. Remember, the toy has to be sturdy and safe to play with! So put on your thinking caps and create a fun and unique toy that will impress the judges!
- WhizKid Award has a theme of Rock-Roll-Wobble! Use your imagination and toy-making skills to make a toy that rocks, rolls or wobbles when played with. It can be a boat rocking on the waves, a marble rolling around a maze, or a wobbly clown on a tightrope. Your toy can be made of any material, as long as it is safe, sturdy and fun to play with. The possibilities are endless – experiment and explore!
Click the following slides / forms:
Teachers; Briefing Slides
SCSA 2013 Poster
SCSA 2013 Entry Form
(back of form flyer
SCSA 2013 Sticker Labels
|IMPORTANT DATES FOR SCSA 2013
This short briefing will show teachers some of the winning toys
of past years, and the qualities which the judges will look out
for. There will also be a briefing on the SCSA (Schools) Competition.
Please fax the reply slip to us at fax: 6561 6361 by 11 Jan 2013
22 Jan to
Two types of workshops offered:
Booking is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please fax Form W1, Form W2 and Form W3 to us at fax: 65616361 by 25 January 2013.
- Creativity workshop – this workshop will teach students the nature of inventing and the process of unique design. There will be examples from toys as well as gadgets. The children will also learn to innovate with everyday materials and get tips on how to make their creations appealing and engaging.
- Technical workshop – this workshop will give participants the opportunity to learn basic skills of toy making. Participants will learn how to assemble magnets, gears, springs and use simple tools. This class is suitable for older students.
- Communication workshop - this workshop will equip participants with effective presentation and communication skills which are important in the interview section where shortlisted entries will require students to explain how the toys work to the judges.
- Parent Volunteers workshop - this workshop will share with the parent volunteers/teachers how to guide students in coming up with their own toys.
We recommend that schools attend the workshops. Different groups of the students can attend the workshops, and the information can be shared with other students in the class.
||Submission of Registration for SCSA and SCSA (Schools) Competition|
Schools who are taking part in the SCSA and SCSA (Schools) Competition are to submit the registration form (Form A) by 28 March 2013.
||Indication of entries and Submission of Report for SCSA (Schools) Competition|
Schools who are taking part in the SCSA (Schools) Competition are to submit their report (Form B) on the number of entries by 30 April 2013.
|28 - 30 May
||Toy Submission |
All toys are to be submitted to the Science Centre on these dates. Each toy must be labelled (SCSA sticker labels are provided) and accompanied by a completed entry form.
For further queries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SCSA 2011 Video
Click on the play button below to view an interesting video clip of the Sony Creative Science Award.