Science Buskers is a festival that encompasses the idea of developing the individual's communication skills through expressions of science in creative manners. Organized as a competition, this event serves as an excellent platform to spread key messages relating to the importance of inspiring an interest in science. During the competition, contestants will do a "show-and-tell" on any science topic, and judging will be based on audiences' votes and judges' scores. The Science Buskers Festival (Grand Finals) is a highlight programme of the Singapore Science Festival 2018.
About Science Busking
What is Science Busking?
- Science Busking is an effective way of communicating science.
- Science Busking takes live demonstrations and interpretations to people.
- Science Busking is very live, very interactive, and can be very rewarding!
Who can participate?
- If you are aged between 7 to 70
- You can participate as an individual or as team with no more than 3 members. Everyone's
How to register?
Download and complete the Registration form.
The main categories are:
- Tertiary / Open
|February 2018||Registration & Teachers' Briefing|
Click here for the Science Buskers 2018 briefing slides.
Click here for the registration form.
|April 2018||12 & 19 April: "Buskers Decoded" Workshops|
Registration closes on 30 April!
|23 - 25 May 2018||Audition Round @ Science Centre|
|August 2018||Workshops (for Shortlisted Teams only)|
|August 2018||Grand Finals @ Plaza Singapura|
- Explanations of demonstrations shown must be scientifically accurate, and use scientifically precise and correct language without overwhelming the audience with jargon.
- Ability to explain science concepts in everyday language without compromising on the science accuracy.
- Ability to engage, interest and excite the audience.
- How much ‘wow’ factor in the busking.
- Ability to make the audience feel inspired and walk away with the feeling that they have learnt something.
Setup, Costume, Overall look and feel
- Creative and innovative ways of showcasing demonstrations.
- Blending of the look & feel with the science concepts presented.
- Creative booth design concepts.
You could win:
The top three winners of each category in the Science Buskers Festival will be awarded both cash prizes and a one-year renewable Science Buskers Festival Artist Engagement where they will be engaged by Science Centre Singapore to perform on a per need basis.
|Champion (from each category)||S$500|
|1st Runner Up (from each category)||S$400|
|2nd Runner Up (from each category)||S$300|
|Judges' Award (up to 3 prizes)||S$100|
- Click here to see the Final Round Winners of Science Buskers Festival 2017.
- Click here to see the Final Round Winners of Science Buskers Festival 2016.