|Description:||Just like a carpenter needs his toolbox, a scientist uses many equipment in research. Come learn some tools of the trade in molecular biology research. Learn various molecular biology and microbiology techniques and understand some of their real life applications.|
|Objectives:||1. Learn micropipetting techniques.|
2. Understand the general structure of bacteria.
3. Learn aseptic techniques when working with bacteria.
4. Grow bacteria via spread plate method and observe the results.
5. Stain bacteria cells using the Gram Staining method and view them under the microscope.
6. Understand the application of using microscope to identify microorganisms such as bacteria.
7. Learn about the structure of DNA and its importance.
8. Understand how DNA is analysed through a technique known as agarose gel electrophoresis.
9. Learn how to interpret DNA fingerprint results.
10. Understand and appreciate the key steps of scientific research methodology.
|Mode of Delivery:||Practical lab session|
|Target Audience:||Sec 1 – Sec 4/5 (Content will be adjusted according to the level of the students) |
|Group size:||20 minimum, 40 maximum|
|Time:||9.30am or 4.30pm (Includes lunch break, food not provided)|
|Course Fee:||$70.00 (Admission fee to Science Centre applies to non-member international schools based in Singapore)|
Book this programme
Private school, Overseas school and Corporate group bookings
The listed course fees apply only to local MOE schools. Private schools, Overseas schools and all Corporate groups (including locally based corporate groups) can contact Corporate Sales to place their bookings. Kindly note that an additional charge applies per pax on top of the listed course fees, as well as admission rates.