Amgen Biotech Experience
The Amgen Biotech Experience (ABE) is an innovative science education programme that introduces secondary and tertiary students to the excitement of scientific discovery.
For more information about the programme, please click here.
ABE Express: Genetic Engineering Intermediate
|Description:||Have you wondered how human insulin is produced in the lab? This is done by genetically engineering bacteria to produce insulin. Since its innovation in 1973, genetic engineering has been applied in many fields such as producing genetically modified food, genetic treatments and medicines. Come and have a first-hand experience of conducting these authentic biotechnological experiments used by researchers around the world!|
|Objectives:||1. Learn how genetic engineering can be used to treat genetic diseases such as diabetes. |
2. Learn micropipetting techniques.
3. Perform digestion of DNA with restriction enzymes and ligation of desired vectors.
4. Understand how DNA is analysed through a technique known as agarose gel electrophoresis. #
5. Conduct a bacteria transformation experiment using the heat shock method.
6. Purify a protein product using column chromatography. #
7. Learn more about the applications of genetic engineering.
* Also available as a 1-day workshop upon request. Items with # will not be covered for 1-day workshop.
|Target Audience:||Secondary 3 to Secondary 5 |
Day 1: 9.30am to 4pm / Day 2: 9.30am to 12.30pm (Includes lunch break, food not provided)
|Course Fee:||$30.00 (Inclusive of GST) |
How to book