Amgen Biotech Experience
The Amgen Biotech Experience (ABE) is an innovative science education programme that introduces secondary and tertiary students to the excitement of scientific discovery. ABE provides secondary and tertiary teachers with the loan of research-grade equipment, supplies, curriculum and professional development.
For more information about the global initiative of the Amgen Biotech Experience, please visit www.amgenbiotechexperience.com
Learn more about Amgen Biotech Experience and how students in Singapore have benefited from the programme.
There are 6 labs involved for students to appreciate the genetic engineering process and its use in biotechnology and drug discovery.
Click on the image for a bigger version.
ABE Express: Genetic Engineering Advance
|Description:||Have you wondered how human insulin is produced in the lab? This is done by genetically engineering bacteria to produce insulin. Since its innovation in 1973, genetic engineering has been applied in many fields such as producing genetically modified food, genetic treatments and medicines. Come and have a first-hand experience of conducting these authentic biotechnological experiments used by researchers around the world!|
|Objectives:||1. Define genetic engineering and recombinant DNA cloning. |
2. Learn micropipetting techniques.
3. Perform an experiment on recombinant DNA cloning including digestion of DNA with restriction enzyme, ligation of desired vectors, bacteria transformation, selection for transformed bacteria, agarose gel electrophoresis#, purification of protein product using column chromatography# and colony polymerase chain reaction#.
4. Learn more about the applications of genetic engineering.
5. Explore different perspectives on the effect of genetic engineering.
* Also available as a 1-day workshop upon request. Items with # will not be covered for 1-day workshop.
|Target Audience:||JC1- JC2/ tertiary level|
|Time:||9.30am – 5.00pm (Includes lunch break, food not provided) |
|Course Fee:||$35.00 (Inclusive of GST) |
This workshop is only available from July 2018