Over the course of history, scientific research has enabled humans to investigate the world around us and solve problems. How do scientists conduct research? Join us as we apply the scientific method in this problem-based learning (PBL) workshop to design and conduct your very own genetic engineering experiment! This workshop can be conducted in the Science Centre Singapore or in your school.
Before attending this workshop, students should have:
Prior understanding of the following:
- The structure of DNA and its importance
- The relationship between DNA, genes, proteins and traits, or;
- Attended one of the following DNA Lab workshops at Science Centre Singapore:
- DNA: Cracking the Code of Life
- DNA & Life
- Genetic Diseases
- Engage in problem-solving skills to investigate a case study.
- Learn molecular biology techniques such as micropipetting*, agarose gel electrophoresis and bacteria transformation.
- Learn and apply the scientific method to design an experiment.
- Conduct a self-designed laboratory experiment.
- Learn to review experimental methodology, analyse results and draw conclusions.
- Explore different perspectives on the effect of genetic engineering.
* Prior knowledge of micropipetting techniques is encouraged but not necessary.
|Mode of Delivery:||Practical lab session|
|Target Audience:||Secondary School (Content will be adjusted according to the level of the students) |
|Group size:||16 students (minimum), 28 students (maximum)|
Class size is kept small so that there is closer interaction between instructor and students.
5 sessions of 3 hours each (Total 15 hours)
- A minimum 1-day gap is required between Sessions 4 and 5.
- An optional Session 6 is also available upon request to allow students to present their work.
|Time:||Please see the possible schedule here.|
|Course Fee:||$45 per student (Admission fee to Science Centre applies to non-member international schools based in Singapore)|
How to book
Private school, Overseas school and Corporate group bookings
The listed course fees apply only to local MOE schools. Private schools, Overseas schools and all Corporate groups (including locally based corporate groups) can contact Corporate Sales to place their bookings. Kindly note that an additional charge applies per pax on top of the listed course fees, as well as admission rates.