A*STAR Talent Search (A*TS) 2009
The A*STAR Talent Search (A*TS), sponsored by the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) and organised with the support of the Science Centre Singapore (SCS), recognises students who have excelled in scientific research.
A*TS Applicant Requirements
- Singaporean/ PR
- Aged between 15-21yrs (as of 31st Dec 2008)
- In a secondary school or pre-university
- Interested in a long-term career as a researcher
- Only inPidual category. No team category.
- InPidual applications can be submitted for team projects
- All A*TS participants are required to take part in SSEF. For more information on SSEF, please visit www.science.edu.sg/ssef
All applicants are required to register online between Nov 2008 to 01 Dec 2008 and are required to submit the following documents by 16 January 2009
- 4 hard copies of project reports.
- 1 CD consisting of digital photographs of inPidual applicant(s) and project report.
- Pre-experimental forms.(Note: Forms 1, 1A and 1B are compulsory for all projects)
- SSEF entry form and/or A*TS entry form (206Kb)
Science Centre Singapore
A/Prof Lim Tit Meng
Fair Director (SSEF 2009)
15 Science Centre Road
- All candidates are required to showcase their research projects in the Singapore Science & Engineering Fair (SSEF) for the first round of judging.
- Short-listed candidates will undergo at least 2 more rounds of interviews by a panel of distinguished judges from various universities and research institutes.
|Depth of understanding of project
|Creative ability / Independent thinking
|Scientific attitude / Motivation and interests
|Potential to pursue R&D careers / Vision and goal
||Points allocated to winner's school |
- Cash prize plus a sponsored trip to an overseas conference worth S$5,000 in total
- Cash prize of S$3,000
- Cash prize of S$2,000
- Cash prize of S$1,000
Schools are awarded points according to the placement of their winning students. For example, if the first place winner is from XYZ school, then XYZ school will be awarded 5 points. To allow the schools to promote and improve science learning, prize monies and certificates will be given to the three schools with the most accumulated points.
- Cash prize of S$5,000
- Cash prize of S$3,000
- Cash prize of S$2,000
For more information, please contact Ms Rachel at email@example.com.
- Projects requiring special approvals (see instructions below) need to be approved before commencement of the research.
- Projects without online registration (deadline 1 Dec 08) will not be considered for the fair.
- Instructions for submitting an entry can be found here (30Kb).
Note: For Bibliography, you are required to list at least 5 major references (e.g., science journal articles, books, internet sites) for your project.
- Project reports (4 copies) must be submitted by 16 January 2009 to the Singapore Science Centre along with a completed A*TS entry form and the necessary forms.
Here are the forms to be submitted with your project. To download all the forms, please click here (209KB).
- If you are submitting an inPidual project for SSEF and taking part in A*TS, you are required to just submit the A*TS entry form (206KB). There is no need to complete the SSEF entry form, as you will automatically be entered for SSEF [It is mandatory for all A*TS participants to take part in SSEF.
- If you are submitting a team project for SSEF and inPidually for A*TS, you will need to fill in a SSEF entry form for your team, and a A*TS entry form for yourself.
|Checklist for Adult Sponsor/ Safety
Assessment Form (1)
|Required for all projects!|
|Student Checklist Form and Research Plan (1A)
||Required for all projects!|
|Approval Form (1B)
Required for all projects!
|Regulated Research Institutional/ Industrial Setting Form (1C)
||Required for projects that are conducted in a regulated research institution (e.g. universities, medical centres, A*Star research institutes, etc), industrial setting or any work site other than home, school or field.|
|Qualified Scientist Form (2)
||Required for projects that involve human subjects, vertebrate animals, potentially hazardous biological agents, DEA-controlled substances. To be signed prior the start of experimentation by DS or QS|
|Risk Assessment Form (3)
||Required for projects that use hazardous chemicals, activities or devices. To be signed prior to experimentation by the DS or QS|
|Human Subjects Form (4)
||Required for all research that involves human subjects. IRB approval is required before experimentation|
|Vertebrate Animal Form (5A)
||Form 5(A): Required for all research that involves vertebrate animals conducted in a Non-Regulated Research site. SRC approval is needed before experimentation|
|Vertebrate Animal Form (5B)
||Form 5(B): Required for all research that involves vertebrate animals conducted at a Regulated Research Institution. IACUC approval is needed before experimentation
|Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents Form(6A)
||Required for all research that involves microorganisms, rDNA and fresh/ forzen tissue, blood and body fluids. SRC/IACUC/IBC/RAC approval is needed before experimentation|
|Human and Vertebrate Animal Tissue Form (6B)
||Required for all projects using fresh/forzen tissue, primary cell cultures, blood, blood products and body fluids. All projects using any tissue listed above must also complete Form 6A . If the research involves living organisms, please ensure that proper human or animal forms are completed.|
|Continuation Projects Form (7)
||Required for projects that are a continuation in the same field from a previous year (s)' project.|
Back to A*STAR Talent Search(A*TS)
Brought to you by:
Back to Top